Saturday, July 8, 2017

We sight whales almost daily 

Sea Otters are everywhere in this part of Alaska
July 7, 2017

Sunshine embroidered the cabin with golden hues and water reflections.   There is no hint of bird song, all is calm in our tiny cove. I awaken to utter quiet.  Five AM must be early even for the creatures here. I love being the first to awaken, scoot out of bed and try the impossible task of quietness within a small abode. I anticipate my only cup, strong, dark roast and put the kettle on to brew two, one for me, one for Tim and take mine up to the canvased, sun-warmed helm. I am still and grateful in the moment, the satin water in the east a soothing view. I luxuriate in the heat from the sun, the cup in my hands.

6:15, we’re on our way to Craig, Alaska.  Tim pulls the sails and we catch enough breeze to put spunky speed in Allusion. Whales breach, snort, dive and glide with such calm grace.  I never tire seeing them.  The otters, too, make me chuckle. I could easily anthropomorphize their antics and expressions.  Tim has incredible distance sight, is usually the first to point them out.  

We hurry to Craig, Tim wants to call Connor, work stuff and we need cell service.  We make it in time for the appointed cellular rendezvous and business is conducted.  Already I miss the kids, Connor and Kate, Brandon and Annie.  Kate and Annie left me with great menu ideas and I have tried them out all week with success.  

Craig is a one night stay, as much as we would like to explore Prince of Wales Island via road.  We marina’d, walked to grocery shop, washed the boat inside and out, made taco salad and called it a day.  Tomorrow we head to a much more interesting town, Hydaburg. Our time is now captured between weather windows to cross Dixon Entrance, a 50 mile open water passage.  We hope for perfect winds, waves and current to sail south to Canada.  I want to stay but soon we leave this colossal water and island menagerie.


No comments:

Post a Comment